In 1418 a competition was held to design a new dome for the cathedral. The two competitors were Lorenzo Ghiberti and Filippo Brunelleschi. Brunelleschi won the competition with his distinctive octagonal design, but both were appointed architects. This arrangement did not work, and Brunelleschi soon took over sole responsibility.
Construction on the dome began in 1420 and was completed in 1436; the cathedral was consecrated by Pope Eugenius IV on March 25, 1436.
Brunelleschi's design features a double-walled ovoid shell anchored at the bottom by a 15 meter high tambour eliminating the need for scaffolding and reinforcement. The dome is 44 meters in diameter and 113 meters high topped by a lantern that is accessed by a stairway between the interior and exterior walls of the dome. Florence Cathedral is commonly known simply as The Duomo because of the beauty and magnificence of Brunelleschi's design and its striking impact on the skyline of Florence.